20141006


     My mornings would only ever happen two ways. The first would consist of me slamming anything that so much as makes a sound with the force of a professional tennis swing and falling back asleep for the next several hours before I eventually do wake up mid-day and sit in bed the remaining half, only ever getting up to retrieve a box of cereal and make a trip to the toilet. The other type of morning was this particular one. My eyes opened mechanically at 5:00 on the dot to a severely dim-lit room (it was storming out, as it had been for the past couple of days.) For your curiosity, waking up this early is not typical of me. Nevertheless, there was no heavy lids or grogginess to lure me back into a nap. My first conscious action is to fumble for my phone and ear buds on my bedside table. I never bother to read any incoming notifications this early--my only goal is to choose a song I can dance my butt off to as I groove my way to the kitchen. The song of the morning today was "When They Fight They Fight" by Generationals--an upbeat, catchy tune reminiscent of the 60's. I am normally a reclusive young man, but during my morning ritual, I would imagine that any snooping neighbor watching through my open windows would be positively hysterical watching me dance the way I do. I would running-man and twist and jive and spirit fingers and moonwalk (or at least attempt to) all the way to my brewer, where I'd make myself a hot mug of English Breakfast tea (one shot of milk and a half shot of sugar.) I'd then jam out to the chosen song on repeat for the next half hour until I finally coerce myself into doing the mundane shower and teeth-brushing routine. I'd then maybe binge-watch Gilmore Girls and tell myself that I can have one more Nature Valley bar because I'm under my daily calorie limit (I'm not), and that would sum up my morning. Today was no different.