20161128

work in progress

     I could never shake the overwhelming feeling that somewhere along the way, I had made a wrong turn--that I had somehow gotten lost in between the pushing and pulling forces of the world. But rather than trying to find my way back, I managed to settle and pretend that where I was was exactly where I was meant to be. Ha!
     It was not.
     This hunch followed me everywhere like a haze. The pain it brought with it was not quick, like the pangs of despair you might be familiar with. Instead, it was slow and heavy. Not unlike smog, it eased its way furtively into my lungs until it lulled me into misery. And even in the most mundane activities such as brushing my teeth, I'd catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and wonder, "Where did I go wrong?" It was always difficult for me to admit to my faults, but in this, I had outdone myself. In this, I am terribly regretful.